Sunday, September 25, 2011

Simple Request

Hi everyone! I know I've been MIA lately but today I have something very important and near and dear to my heart to blog about!

On July 5th my cousin Lori and her husband Neil received the devastating news that their 2 year old son, Will, had Leigh's Disease. It's a very rare neurometabolic disorder in the mitochondrial disease family. The easiest way to explain it is that this particular manifestation of the disease causes lesions in the brain and eventually the brain will stop functioning and there is no cure or suppressant. It's unlikely he will live to see his teenage years.

The news was obviously more than crushing to them as Will is an only child. It's been hard for the entire family however as a mother myself I can't imagine the pain and fear that Lori and Neil feel. I'm devastated for them and I ask that you please read up on their blog: www.martinfamilyandmito.blogspot.com and follow their story. I ask this of you for a few reasons...to become familiar with this retched disease (the more awareness the better) and to keep all 3 of them in your prayers!

Did you know that Mitochondrial Diseases are as common as child cancer? Probably not and I didn't know that either! Last week was Mitochondrial Awareness Week (I would have posted this last week but I just found this out! Better late than never!) so help me spread awareness! You can follow my cousins blog, blog about her blog, or "like" the United Mitochondrial Foundations Facebook page. Thank you so much! It really means a lot to me and my family!

2 comments:

The Martin Family said...

Thanks so much Kristin! We really appreciate your support and prayers. I can't wait to meet baby Kambry. Your mom said she's a doll! Hope you guys are doing great. Love Lori

jennie said...

What a weird thing, but my sister-in-law's sister's little boy was just diagnosed with the exact same thing. What a horrible thing to happen. I will keep all of them in our prayers!!